Thursday, May 2, 2013

Writers Voice Contest-CROOKED THINGS


So I was lucky enough to be one of the raffle winners for the Writers Voice Contest. I tried not to get my hopes up when I entered the raffle (cause it was based on luck), so I was pretty excited when I got the email. Thanks for the opportunity Brenda, Monica, Krista, and Cupid. Here's the query for my book, Crooked Things.



Query


Dear Coaches,

Change is good—unless you’re becoming a monster.

At sixteen, Hannah Ellender discovers she isn’t completely human. Something inside her is changing, but the end result is unclear. She begins to see things no one else can: crooked things better left in the dark. One of those things is Bain, a soul imprisoned in a box. Once a powerful warlock, he was betrayed and separated from his body by a spell. With a wicked sense of humor and an alluring voice, he promises to guide her through the world of magic. 


But when she unknowingly frees him, Bain’s spirit jumps into Landon, a boy Hannah has been enamored with since middle school. Now she only has one month to find Bain’s immortal body, otherwise Landon becomes a disembodied soul. As the search brings them closer together, Hannah’s feelings towards the warlock become muddled. Is it Bain she’s beginning to care for, or is it just the skin he’s wearing? Nothing is clear as she falls further into a dark, deadly world of vampires, stone creatures, and mad warlocks. Here the lines are blurred, friends are divided, and even love becomes a crooked thing.

CROOKED THINGS is a 81,000 word YA paranormal fantasy. It will appeal to fans of The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.




First 250 Words


“Watch it!” Hannah hissed as someone danced onto her foot. She stopped herself from kicking the offender in the shin, and stood still like a rock in a whirlpool of sweaty teenagers. Students crowded the living room, dancing haphazardly around her in groups. The closest tag-team of juniors was jumping up and down while pumping their fists to the music. One of them hopped onto the couch pushed up against the wall to accommodate the endless stream of people still pouring into the house. The flood of bodies shifted again, pushing Hannah Ellender into her friend Dannie.
 “You okay?” Dannie asked.
“I’m fine.” Hannah directed a glare at the guy that pushed her. She turned back around to see Landon standing a few feet away. Her mouth grew dry as she thought of asking him to dance, but the blonde hanging off his arm might have a problem with it. His girlfriend scowled at her and Hannah looked away.
“You sure about that?” Dannie flipped her black hair out of her tan face. “Cause you’re looking kind of psychotic right now. You’re not planning to murder anyone, are you? If you do, I’ll be a character witness at your trial. I’ll tell the jury about how sweet you are until someone pokes you with a stick.”
“A stick? You make me sound like a bear,” Hannah muttered as she pushed her light, brown curls away from her green eyes. “My hair isn’t that fuzzy.”

22 comments:

  1. Interesting premise and a gret start! Good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I also dig the premise of whether she's falling for the guy she's crushed on or the warlock sharing his body. I'm intrigued to know how this goes.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took a few rewrites for me to come up with that premise.

      Delete
  3. Well, well, this looks familiar :) Query rocks, and I love your 250! It's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why it looks familiar lol. Now you know what my real name is :)

      Delete
  4. YES. Love your query! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in the potential struggle and love triangle being in two bodies (with one of the souls potentially not being present? Or drifting?). I am also definitely feeling the 'villain' as the love interest vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tension in her not know who she's falling for, sweet boy or mad warlock! Nice setup! Good luck in the contest, and happy writing!

    --Suzanne
    www.suzannewarr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome, and I also love the inventive love triangle. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very strong opening! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So intriguing! I would read this in an instant. I love the title as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I'm completely sucked in! Nice tight query and great first 250! I'd read on without hesitation! GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally laughed at your last paragraph in the extract - great voice! I liked the dilemma she has over the guys, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting spin on a love triangle. Nice job and Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome opening line of your query! I love the sound of this! High stakes – count me in! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at stone creatures and mad warlocks. *sprinkles good luck vibes*

    ReplyDelete
  15. That query is tight! One of the most streamlined & succinct I've seen in TWV. Excellent work there. G'luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty much what everyone else said. Interesting premise, love the love triangle, would love to read :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great query and your MC comes alive in the 250. I also like the idea of the love triangle with two bodies and three souls. Best of luck to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the beginning, middle and end of your query! Interesting premise! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete